Thursday, September 4, 2008

Why an Odyssey of Communication?

As a Communication major at SJSU, I am realizing that I couldn't have chosen a better focus of study for our information-heavy times. I originally chose it back in 1999 as a student at Pepperdine University because I am very much a people-person and enjoy communication on many levels. Today, in 2008, as I work toward finishing this degree, it is a completely different major than it was 9 years ago because of the prevelance of internet activities. We cannot survive or be a contributing member to society without having an intimate knowlege of the internet.

What's more, I am thrilled to be learning the tools to be a contributor of information rather than just a consumer of it.

"Commodyssey" represents the journey that started in 1999 at Pepperdine, continued in 2000 at Mission College, in 2001 at UC Santa Barbara, through an academic hiatus to persue 2 different career endeavors and finally rounding out at SJSU to finish a major that I couldn't have predicted to be so influential.


COnsider the Meriam-Webster breakdown of the word "odyssey." Note the final definition....


ODYSSEY

Function:
noun
Inflected Form(s):
plural od·ys·seys
Etymology:
the Odyssey, epic poem attributed to Homer recounting the long wanderings of Odysseus
Date:
1889
1 : a long wandering or voyage usually marked by many changes of fortune
2
: an intellectual or spiritual wandering or quest

While my personal communication journey is mainly an intellectual one, I see simililarities between trek of Odysseus to get back home and my own to finish my degree.

Odysseus' hardships and continued setbacks were opportunities to halt the journey altogether. He could have given up at any time and forfeited any chance of seeing his family again. He made the choice to press on; he never gave up, realizing the prize.

My choice is two fold:

-To finish this degree because I believe that I will be better equipped to face our current world
-To do so in a manner that I may be a contibutor rather than simply a consumer


My academic hiatus has allowed me to appreciate this opportunity so much more and have a perspective that never could have been realized without taking it.

I am thrilled to be right here, right now, and will be taking full advantage of my prize at the end of my journey.

1 comment:

COMM Aficionado said...

First of all, I want to compliment you, 1) because your alias is very clever and 2) your explanation is so eloquently put. Reading your background about it makes me understand it that much more.

Your journey reminds me so much of mine, but I don't think I've ever depicted it as nicely and poetic as you! :) I can definitely relate. I started at SDSU, tried SJSU for a semester, went to De Anza and here I am again all after two "career" changes as well... However, I am excited to see what kind of career I land in after completing my education, I know it will open up many doors.

Congratulations on coming around to complete your journey, and best of luck to you!