Saturday, November 1, 2008

Chapter 29 - Spiral of Silence

This chapter described what all of us go through to some degree, the desire to be heard and feel affirmed in our opinions, or more so, the fear that we won't be affirmed, therefore we keep quiet. I have been in this situation many times, where I don't agree with what is taking place in a meeting or the direction a group is going. Many times, because a group feeds off each other's energy, a poor decision can be made without anyone realizing what's happening. Instead of speaking up and shedding some light on the poor direction they are heading, I keep quiet instead of going against the tide - until the right moment, that is. When it gets to the point where it is abundantly clear that the group is way off base, I have no issue chiming in. This is probably what the chapter means when they discuss that people will usually speak up if they are a criminal or moral hero - they have other motives besides just saving face amongst group members, so their reputation within that group has no bearing on their opinions.

1 comment:

pirateprincess said...

I like that you will chime in when the time is right. Often because of the spiral of silence, people won't chime in at all. They do not want to risk their safety among the group. I also speak up when the time is right. I feel like I will have regrets if I don't. I like to have some control over the situation so I must speak up. I can't imagine not saying anything and letting something happen that I did not agree with. Unless my life was being threatened, I don't think I would have a problem speaking up.